The fourth annual Careers Month in Newham got off to a flying start, with students from schools from across the borough taking part in careers and apprenticeship activities during National Careers Week and National Apprenticeship Week from 4th to 9th March. Students also took part in Careers Month activities this week and there are further activities planned for next week.
- Students from Cumberland Schhol and Rokeby school both received visits from Dave Wake, Careers Adviser for the Construction Industry Training Board (CITB), who spoke to pupils about careers in the Construction Industry
- Students from Rokeby Schol attended workshops at Newvic on careers in Psychology and Criminology
- Students from Chobham Academy attended workshops on Sports Development and Fitness careers
- Students from Eastlea school attended workshops at Newvic on Business careers
- Students from Lister Community School attended workshops at Newvic on Health and Childcare careers
- Students from Chobham Academy and Rokeby School attended workshops at Newham College on careers in Engineering
- Students from Lister School attended the Workplace Apprenticeship Fair
- Students from Lister Community School, Rokeby School and NewVIc visited the London Stadium LearningZone to find out about sports-related careers at the London Stadium
- Students from Rokeby School visited the Building Crafts College to find out about opportunities in the construction industry and courses at the college
There are more activities continuing next week:
- Students from Lister Community school are attending a presentation at the Building Crafts College by bricklaying employer Lyons and Annoot, to find out about apprenticeship opportunities and careers in the bricklaying trade
- Students from East London Science School and Eastlea School are visiting Newham College’s Fashion & Textile Museum in Bermondsey for an employer talk on The History of Fashion and careers in the fashion industry
- Students from Lister School are visiting the London Design and Engineering UTC to find out about careers in Lego robotics, building and programming
Our thanks go to CITB, Newvic, Newham College, Workplace, the London Stadium Learning Zone, Building Crafts College, LDEUTC and all the employers who have helped us to deliver a fantastic range of careers activities for Newham students.
We are already planning for National Careers Week and National Apprenticeship Week 2020, which will be led by the Mayor of London's Enterprise Adviser Network which is expanding to include all state secondary schools, colleges and pupil referral units . If your school or college hasn't signed up to the network yet, follow this link to the EOI form